Sunday, June 7, 2009

Day 10 6/3

Day 10 (6/3): Taking the train into work everyday provides a very interesting view of Baltimore, DC and the intervening areas between the two. It’s kind of like seeing the backsides of everything at Disneyland. The people in charge try their hardest to make sure that what you see is the pretty, shiny edifices while keeping the frames and studs holding everything up hidden. There is very little on my commute that would qualify as beautiful, especially when compared with the majesty of the Capitol building or White House. It is however very interesting to watch roll past my window. Depending on which side I sit on, I see a construction equipment rental company storage lot, the back of a building at BWI Airport, a parking lot full of school busses, a swamp, and plenty of graffiti on both sides.

I gave my first tour of the Capitol today. We were helping our Senator’s office because it was a huge group and there were people more than their interns could manage. It was group of middle school students and their parents. We divvied up the groups into smaller groups so they could get a more personal tour. I felt like I gave a good tour, considering it was my first time. They took lots of pictures and seemed to be interested in what I was telling them about the Capitol but they didn’t ask a single question. I suppose I probably wouldn’t have wanted to ask some random Congressional intern any questions when I was in 8th grade either. After the tour, we took them to the steps in front of the Senate so they could get a picture with one of our Senators. Me and the other intern from my office waited around to meet the Senator. While walking back to our office, it started pouring rain on us. That’s what we get for waiting around.

When we got back to the office…well let me take a moment to talk about clocks. Not just any clocks, but the clocks found in House offices. These clocks are designed with the Representatives in mind. Whenever a vote is called on the House floor, all members have 15 minutes to get from wherever they are to the floor to record their vote. To let the members who are not in the chamber know that they are called for a vote, every clock in every office is hooked up to a system that rings every time there is a vote. Today was the first day that there was a vote since I have been here, but everyone had neglected to warn me that all the clocks in the office would simultaneously begin ringing. So, the first time it went off I jumped out of my seat because I assumed it was the fire alarm but the other intern at the desk next to me continued sitting and calmly typing. I looked at her quizzically, and she patiently explained what that startling noise was. It only took me a day and I was already barely hearing these glorified alarm clocks. I have been able to discern that there are several different patterns of rings, but I don’t know what they all mean yet. I’ll get back to you on that.

After the tour, and the false alarm (that is a joke, you’re supposed to laugh) it was a rather ordinary day at the office. After work, I went about gathering signatures for another letter and working on more memos. Memos, always memos.

Today’s question: The government in Washington has a lot on its plate at any given moment. However, it is impossible to tackle every issue at once. What do you think is the biggest issue that Congress or the President are not satisfactorily addressing?

1 comment:

  1. 1. GAY GAY GAY! gay issues that is. first step, Obama needs to make a consecutive order stopping the discharges of gay servicemen and women.

    2. Remember anthropology class when the fire alarms went off and that guy just automatically got up. Yeah... the entry made me laugh.

    3. Beauty can be found in unattractive things. This is why I would love NYC very much.

    4. Write about pride gurl~

    ReplyDelete