Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Day 9 6/2

Day 9 (6/2): It’s interesting. I’m actually beginning to recognize some of my fellow commuters. Not by name, but by face. It’s an odd camaraderie that I feel with them. Maybe that’s just me overromanticizing the 9 to 5 working man but we all share a the shackle that the man has put on us but that we must toil under to provide for our families. (Yup, definitely glorifying the daily commute too much.) Anyway, today was the first day that we had to get fully dressed up for work, and today was also the first day that the dreaded Washington humidity decided to settle in. By 7:30 this morning, it was already unbearably muggy, and me in office clothes. Up until now, the weather has been cool to warm and cloudy or rainy.

Today is the start of the Session! I’m so excited! For me, being in DC is like being in Hollywood for most of the rest of the world. Seeing Patrick Leahy would be the equivalent to seeing Ben Affleck. Yes, I know that I am a total nerd, you do not have to point it out to me :P . I got sent to the Russell Senate Office Building to pick up something, and I actually walked passed Leahy’s office while Sonia Sotomayor was in his office! …Don’t say it. I know. Moving on, today we interns had a meeting to discuss which committee meetings we want to sit in on. I chose a Senate Foreign Relations committee hearing on US-China environmental cooperation. I’m really excited! Yeah, overall, today was just a better day for me. I was on mentally top of the memos I was writing and I didn’t screw up when I sent through any calls.

Today’s question: Have you ever contacted any of your elected officials? What was the issue you were bringing up? What was your experience? I can tell you from my end that in my short time here I have gotten or heard about every call imaginable.

PS I promise pictures will be forthcoming. There just haven't been many good opportunities to go on a photo hunt. But I promise!

3 comments:

  1. No, I have not, BUT i'm considering calling just so I can *maybe* talk to you on the phone. lol that would be hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...you are such a loser =P. I can't believe you are excited for a committee on US-China environmental cooperation. That sounds terribly dull. I'm glad you enjoy it;somebody needs to discuss those things.

    I have contacted my elected officials. I had to for government class in high school and a social studies class in grade school. I don't have a clue what I discussed and I didn't receive anything in response. Clearly I'm not an active/productive member of society.

    You've promised for the past 3 days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Anna, I am one of four people who answer the phones on a regular basis so you have a 25% chance of reaching me! lol

    Yes, I am thoroughly excited. :P

    ReplyDelete